Friday, February 19, 2010

Athithi Devo Bhavaa ...

Dear Indians, Are we independent ?

Many of you are probably surprised as to why I am asking this Question ? Did we not achieve independence from the British ? That too in 1947 itself ? Well, yes to all three Qs.. but the question that “Are we independent ?” is one that begs serious answers from fellow Indians… Let us look at the below examples to understand why it is important for us realize the issue behind the question and solve it for longer term betterment of each and every individual in India.

Scene 1: I am heading a recruitment team on behalf of my company, there happens to be a white person in it, a junior interviewer, who works several levels below me. In the airport we are all in line airline staff just walk up to him and whisk him away to a counter and check him in, I am told to await my turn in the line. At the destination, when we check in to a hotel, the hotel clerk tells him – “Sir we have issued a complementary upgrade to you. Your room is on the executive floor with valet etc.”. The story continues with bills for our meals automatically presented to him. The Chefs and waiters dropping by to inquire how the food is etc. I checked the bills I paid as much as he did for all the room and board …

Scene 2: In a jungle lodge in Kabini, when a part of 30 of my group go we are all herded into 10-12 per jeep, but the white guests are just send as a couple in jeeps, with instructions on where last sighting has happened etc. We were herded into a lunch hall for a buffet. In an adjoining room, with fine china and silver tables are laid out and items kept. When we ask can we eat there we are told, it is buffet for everybody. When the group of whites follow us, the staff politely inform them that the finely laid out table is for them. I again ask the manager are we paying any less ? “No sir they are guests” – pat came the reply. I then asked “What am I ?” – a stunned silence is all the reply I get.

Scene 3: A top 5-star resort in Mahabalipuram, I book the most expensive bungalow there. When we reach there the staff take me to a desk. Process is completed and I am about to be given the key. Suddenly, a buss full of folks from Europe/similar nations, white -- come in. All in “wal-mart” attire. The entire staff run to them. Garland them with Sandalwood garlands, offer welcome drinks. Again, they get upgrades to beach view rooms. Those rooms still are costing about a quarter of my beach villa. After they left, I summoned the manager and asked him how come our welcome didn’t include welcome drink and sandalwood garland ? Reply was “They are our guests”. At this point I exploded in anger outlining how to a hotel “all are guests”… In this case, the manager had the decency to understand the nature of the treatment meted out to us and apologized.

Scene 4: You get the idea, you all have seen this. Even in an orthodox family, where they would never accept a groom/bride of even a sub-sect, willingly embrace a white skinned groom/bride and gloat how they patiently went through the “wedding ceremony”.

Now, let me ask you “Are we independent ?”

Hmm… Probably it is best left for you to introspect

Treat everyone equally… Even our dharma says “Athithi Devo Bhavaa”, it doesn’t say “Videshi Athithi Devo Bhava”. Let us all realize that and become truly independent. Else, we would be still mental slaves…. to foreign skin.

2 comments:

  1. Very True.I am sure this happens only in India or any non white country.Somehow we Indians are so addicted to skin color so much .Always consider whites are more rich and superior than us even if they don't think superior .

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Suddenly, a bus full of folks from Europe/similar nations, white -- come in. All in “wal-mart” attire" - Love that statement :)!

    ReplyDelete