Friday, April 13, 2012

Maamigalum Viradhangalum


Maami Chronicles: Part 4

Maamigalum Viradhangalumமாமிகளும் விரதங்களும்


Have you noticed the viradham pattern observed by Maamis in your household ? Do you notice a pattern on why they do it, why they pick certain occasions to do them etc. I observed their pattern and think I am close to solving that mystery but need help from you all to crack it totally…

I have been patiently observing Maamis over several years and have finally solved the reason for this viradham by Maamis. It is shockingly simple – they simply love Dosai, Idly & Ulundhu Vadai!!! That is it folks, this is the simple truth…

Because, Viradham never equals Fasting… It is just palaharam. That too maamis uncannily pick that day for viradham -- wherein they know that after working your butt off preparing a sumptuous menu you are looking for a break come dinner time. It is their ploy to deny you that well deserved break, it is also plain and simple. E.g most poojas I have seen my wife go berserk with menu  and after all is done dusted will hearஎனக்கு இன்னிக்கு ராத்திரி பலகாரம் – வெறும் தோசையும் வடையும் மட்டும் போரும்!!!” (I am fasting today, so just will make do with Dosa and Vadaa!!).

I am always curious to understand what exactly is the sacrifice in this whole Palahaaram episode ? Other than a primal urge to eat fresh tiffin you like, I really don’t what is “sacrificial” in this whole thing ? Sure, even I wouldn’t mind such viradham and palahaaram every day...

Some Maamis will say “எனக்கு பழையது எல்லாம் கூடாது“ (Don’t serve me old stuff) Again what is sacrificial in this is something that escapes my reasoning. Trust me, I spent years to understand some element of sacrifice in this. The top comedy is in this, fellow maamis will immediately sympathize with this and give brownie points to each other. “நான் அவர் போனப்புறம் பழயதையே விட்டுட்டேன்” (After his passing away, I have given up eating old stuff) as some sort of sacrifice. Is it just me who is upset at this, to me if you want to sacrifice then say -- “I will not eat fresh food, I will only eat food that is at least two days old” – that certainly seems to be the right way to go about it…

So in summary, my conclusion is .. as long as there is nuisance potential (heartburn for daughter-in-law) or a sympathy factor with fellow maamis – anything goes as Viradham (especially with fresh dosa/vada around).

They certainly provide a comic relief in my life… I am not so sure about my wife…. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment