Monday, January 26, 2015

RK Laxman, who in earlier days fought a lone battle against the establishment (which included some really formidable Nehru and Fake Gandhis) for the common man passed away today. 

My early exposure to caricature was through Thuglak's covers and his cartoons. I missed his early contributions as ToI was not nationally well known then and we were all happy with THE (anti)HINDU. When I started studying in Bangalore was when I really experienced his genius in the library which also had the newspapers. Particularly three of them are still vivid in my memory.

  1. A serpantine Q in the railway station to book for trains the common man says "Where do I plan to spend my Vacation ? In this Q of course...."
  2. A team of shocked MUMBAI CIVIC officials asking others "How come this street is in Good Shape ? No Development work has happened ?"
  3. A housewife looking at a small handkerchief sized cloud in the Horizon and saying to her hubby "There goes my electricity & Water...."
It is to the credit of Congress that his cartoons are still relevant today. The biggest tribute we all could pay to him would be to elect a government that makes his cartoons irrelevant.

RIP RKL. You have given me really funny and thought provoking Memories, which is the best gift a human can give to another. Wishing you the best in heaven.....

No comments:

Post a Comment